You wash your face and for a few, brief moments it feels soft, fresh, and healthy.
However, it does not take long for your skin to feel like an oil slick.
Because your skin produces so much oil, you might be inclined to forego moisturizer.
Unfortunately, the oil your skin produces is not what it needs to stay hydrated. And skipping your moisturizer can cause your skin to produce even more oil.
Thankfully, there are products on the market that can help. Today, we will show you how to hydrate your skin and how to find the best products for large pores and oily skin.
- Oil and moisture are not the same
- Oily skin still needs hydration
- Stay away from ingredients that clog pores
- Look for lightweight products that nourish and hydrate
Why Skipping Your Moisturizer Is Not a Good Idea
Adding a moisturizer to your already oily skin may feel counterintuitive.
However, all skin needs hydration.
Skin oil (called sebum) is a waxy substance that helps maintain the skin’s natural barrier function. Hydration is when water is absorbed into the epidermis and dermis. If the skin does not have water, you will experience:
- A loss of plumpness
- Reduced elasticity
- Decreased resilience
When your skin is hydrated, it is healthy.
The natural oils in your skin promote skin health as well. If you strip those away, your skin will overcompensate by producing more oil, which can result in clogged pores and breakouts.
If you try to deal with your oily skin by cutting out the moisture, the result will be an increased risk of:
- Fine lines
- Other signs of premature aging
Types of Ingredients That Promote Skin Hydration
When looking for the best product for large pores and oily skin, you will want to watch for three common components of moisturizers – humectants, emollients, and occlusives.
Here are the benefits of each one.
- Humectant: A humectant-based moisturizer acts as a hydration magnet. It attracts water and helps the skin retain it. Not all humectants supply hydration to the skin in the same manner. Some draw in water and supply the skin directly, while others start out by removing dead skin cells. Getting rid of the dead skin will help even out the surface, allowing the water to hydrate your skin evenly.
- Emollient: Emollients are ingredients that soften and smooth. Dehydrated skin feels dry and rough to the touch, and it also tends to crack and flake. When this happens, there are spaces left in between the cells of your skin. An emollient fills the spaces with lipids (fats) to enhance the softness and smoothness of your skin.
- Occlusive: An occlusive-based moisturizer has ingredients that create a physical barrier to prevents water loss. Waxes, oils, silicones, mineral oil, and petroleum jelly are all occlusive ingredients. They help extremely dehydrated skin lock in water.
Typically, the best component for people with oily skin is humectants. These ingredients do not create a barrier that can clog pores. Yet, they are ideal for drawing moisture into the skin, retaining it, and filling in fine lines. Light-weight emollients in the form of a nighttime face serum might benefit oily skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple without feeling overly oily. If you have oily skin, you should avoid occlusive-based moisturizers. Leave those to the people who have severely dehydrated skin.
(Note: People with sensitive skin might want to avoid these products, too, as they can lead to irritation or allergic reactions.)
How to Hydrate Your Skin: The Best Products for Large Pores and Oily Skin
To get luminous skin, you need to get to know your skin type. One way to do this is to take the snowperk® Skin iD test, which will explain what your skin needs and why.
Once you have the information you need, it is time to start your search for the best hydrating products for oily skin.
Start by identifying ingredients you want to stay away from. In your case, because you have oily skin, you will likely want to stay away from occlusive ingredients. Other ingredients that can damage your skin include:
- Fragrances (especially if you have sensitive skin, too)
- Colorants (especially for sensitive skin)
- Comedogenic ingredients (they block the pores and cause blackheads and breakouts), such as isopropyl myristate (a thick, waxy, synthetic oil)
Balancing Moisture Gel-Cream by snowperk®
The next step is to find products containing ingredients that will help you get soft, supple, younger-looking skin without leaving you with shiny, oily skin that is prone to breakouts.
A good example of a product for oily skin that contains high-quality, healthful ingredients is Balancing Moisture Gel-Cream by snowperk®. There are two reasons why this is a great option for your skin type.
First, the formulation. Instead of applying a heavy lotion, this product is a lightweight gel-cream. It does not feel heavy, like it just lays on the skin. Instead, it quickly absorbs into the skin without feeling greasy. After 14 days of use, the majority of our customers found that this product:
- Left them with smoother skin (76%)
- Gave them more radiant-looking skin (76%)
- Made them feel like their skin was balanced and well-hydrated (80%)
The second reason why this product is ideal for oily skin is one of the key ingredients: purified sugar beet root. This ingredient contains vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, which helps prevent fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging. Beet root also helps strengthen the skin’s barrier so that it is less likely to lose water, leaving your skin feeling wonderfully hydrated.
There Is No One-Size-Fits-All Solution
To ensure the health of your skin, you need to find the skincare routine that works best for you. The best moisturizer for combination skin will likely not work for you if you are just dealing with oily skin. Similarly, certain products (like face serum) will not work as well for one skin type as it does for others, due to the ingredients it contains.
If you want beautiful, healthy skin that glows (not shines), you need to find products that contain ingredients to promote the overall health of your skin. When you invest in high-quality products, your skin will look and feel better – which leaves you feeling confident and happy.
Which products and ingredients are best for your oily skin? Take our skin iD test to learn more.