If you experience burning, flushing, or any other type of irritation after using a skincare product, it is likely that the product is not right for your skin.
Additionally, it could be an indication that you have sensitive skin or some sort of skin condition that needs special care and attention.
By learning about your unique skin type, you can find the best cleanser, face serum, and moisturizer for sensitive skin. You can also create a skincare routine that promotes healthy skin from the inside out.
- Identify potential skin issues
- Choose a cleanser and face serum with soothing ingredients
- Do not overlook the microbiome in the gut
The Importance of Identifying Skin Issues
It is vital to the health of your skin to identify any skin conditions before searching for cleansers and other products for your skincare routine. The reason for this is two-fold.
First, if your skin has special needs, you need to find products with ingredients that can suit those needs.
Second, even all-natural ingredients can damage the skin if you have a pre-existing skin condition or an allergy to those ingredients.
Interestingly, you may think you have one type of skin condition when, in fact, you have quite another. For example, many people mistake pimple-like bumps on their skin for acne. While you may have acne, another skin condition that causes these types of bumps is rosacea. That is why it might be best to talk to a dermatologist or other skincare professional and get a definitive diagnosis before testing out various products on your stressed-out skin.
Following are three common skin conditions that impact millions of people.
- Rosacea: According to a 2018 study done by the British Association of Dermatologists, as much as 46% of the adult population worldwide suffer from rosacea. Early symptoms of this condition include easily blushing/flushing skin. Eventually, it can result in constant redness, small bumps or pimples, and visible blood vessels. If you are diagnosed with rosacea, your doctor might prescribe medications to reduce redness. You can also soothe your skin with a fragrance-free moisturizer.
- Eczema: Also known as atopic dermatitis, eczema is a condition in which your skin has difficulty protecting you from irritants. You will find that you are more sensitive to pathogens and chemicals than other people. Symptoms of eczema include dry, itchy, swollen, and scaly skin. You might develop small, fluid-filled bumps as well. A moisturizer for sensitive skin can help soothe your symptoms by creating a protective layer over your skin.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: This type of contact dermatitis occurs when you experience an allergic reaction to cleansers, soaps, lotions, fragrances, cosmetics, and even certain types of metals used to make jewelry. An allergic reaction can cause redness, burning, tenderness, itching, swelling, and even bumps and blisters. Besides avoiding products with ingredients you are allergic to, you might also want to consider using oral or topical antihistamines.
How to Ease the Burn: Ingredients That Soothe Sensitive Skin
Choosing high-quality products is vital whether you have a skin condition, or simply have sensitive skin. Natural ingredients will help to:
- Soothe and smooth the skin
- Reduce inflammation
- Soften the skin
- Hydrate without clogging pores
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
When looking at the ingredients list of skincare products, make sure they do not contain any of the following components:
A 2019 study found that between 60% and 70% of the population worldwide report they have some degree of skin sensitivity. Those are astonishing figures, especially when you consider that many products on the market contain the components above that are known to cause skin irritation.
Thankfully, you can find products that contain healthy, skin-soothing ingredients, such as:
- French Polynesia ferment filtrate (a retinol alternative)
- Canadian willowherb (reduces inflammation)
- Demask rose (improves dull skin without causing irritation)
Skin Soothing & Hydrating Booster from snowperk®
Here is a product that is an ideal example of utilizing natural, skin-calming ingredients – the Skin Soothing & Hydrating Booster.
This face serum contains:
- Canadian willowherb: Besides having anti-inflammatory properties, willowherb also contains antioxidants, which help protect the skin from environmental damage. Antioxidants help slow the progression of fine lines and wrinkles, providing you with more youthful-looking skin.
- Saccharide isomerate: An emollient and water-binding agent, this ingredient helps the skin retain moisture, so it feels hydrated and looks supple and dewy.
Customers who tried this booster found that it:
- Left them with smooth, flawless skin after just two weeks
- Increased their skin’s overall hydration
- Helped their skin feel refreshed
- Made their skin look and feel healthier
The Microbiome in the Gut: Healing Your Skin from the Inside Out
In addition to carefully selecting the products you put on your skin, you will want to pay close attention to what you put into your body.
Drinking plenty of water can aid in keeping your skin hydrated. Dehydrated skin can become inflamed and tender. When you wash with your normal cleanser, you can experience sensitivity and burning because of this dehydration.
The microbiome in the gut is also important to the health and radiance of your skin. Your microbiome consists of microorganisms, such as bacteria, that live in your gut. The good bacteria help replenish the body’s delicate tissues (including facial skin) that have been damaged. When something enters your body, your microbiome determines what should stay and what should be eliminated. If something needs to go, your immune system will go to work.
The Best Cleanser for Your Skin Will Leave You with Glowing, Youthful Skin
When you use a cleanser, you want it to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. However, that does not mean that a cleanser needs to be harsh.
Plenty of cleansers, moisturizers, and serums have high-quality, natural ingredients that clean skin thoroughly while promoting the health of your skin.
Of course, even a gentle cleanser can cause irritation if it contains ingredients that you are allergic or sensitive to. Therefore, it is important to know your skin type and learn about which products will help soothe it.
When you find those products, you can be confident that your skin will experience less inflammation and irritation. Instead, it will feel soft, smooth, and supple – and it will look absolutely beautiful.
Are you ready to learn more about your unique skin type? Take our free skin iD test today!