Lacking accurate information regarding your skincare routine can be costly. It is easy to throw money at marketers and advertisers in a desperate search for quality skincare products that work.
Doing some additional research and investigating products on the market helps you make wise decisions and save money you’d otherwise spend on ineffective products. Learning what to look for and understanding precisely what you need for your distinct skin type can help you find answers to questions you’ve been asking for a long time.
- Knowing your skin type and choosing the right ingredients can empower you to narrow down your options to find the best products to use in your skincare routine.
- Ensure the products you choose have safe and stable packaging and contain optimal levels of active ingredients.
- Products that feel good, smell good, and are easily accessible can enhance your experience.
How to Choose the Right Skincare Products
We want to close the information gap by revealing several methods skin experts use when choosing the best products for their patients. These strategies will empower you to select products with high-performing ingredients, minimalist formulations, and sustainable manufacturing practices.
We’ll also explain how snowperk® – our scientifically-proven skincare system – adapts and caters specifically to Asian skincare needs.
1. Know Your Skin Type and Skin Concern
Today, we have countless choices with too little time to research each option and choose the best ones. Sadly, in the process of testing skincare products, it’s easy to come across harmful products that further damage our skin.
Knowing your skin type can help you narrow down your options and find effective products more quickly. Understanding which ingredients are suitable for your body can help you pursue better health and wellness overall.
The primary categories of skin types are normal, dry, oily, sensitive, and combination. Snowperk takes this a step further using the Baumann Skin Type System (BSTS) to classify 48 distinct skin types. We base our skincare product recommendations on where you fall on the spectrum, considering these four main factors.
- Dehydration: Oiliness vs. dryness
- Inflammation: Sensitivity vs. resistance
- Pigmentation: Pigmentation vs. non-pigmentation
- Wrinkles: Wrinkling vs. tightness
You can discover your skin type using our skin analysis tool. After a short questionnaire, you’ll know your unique skin ID. We’ll also provide you with a complimentary skincare routine based on your results. Once you know your skin type, you can look for specific ingredients that cater to you. Here are some examples:
- Normal: Vitamin C, highly active encapsulated peptide
- Dry: Requires higher levels of humectants and emollients to supply the skin with needed hydration and moisture
- Oily: Use emollients suited to oily skin and limit their content. Contain actives that balance the secretion of sebum like red clover flower extract and lemon myrtle extract
- Combination: Should have adequate hydration for the dry areas while have a balancing effect on the oilier zone
- Sensitive: Should contain soothing ingredients, emollients and low levels, if any, of know irritants. Fragrance and colorant free products are recommended.
2. Choose the Right Ingredients for Your Skin
Reading ingredients on skincare product labels can feel like trying to decipher a foreign language. This “language” is called the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients. Understanding essential ingredients to look for and which ones to avoid helps you choose higher quality products without as much experimentation.
Ingredients to Look For
- Natural ingredient with good safety profile
- Encapsulated peptide that has higher activity than Vitamin C for reducing melanin production
- French polynesia ferment filtrate – retinol alternative for sensitive skin
- Canadian willowherb extract to soothe skin and reduce inflammation
- Demask rose extract to improve the dull skin and reduce eye dark circles
- Hyaluronic acid with small molecular weight
Ingredients to Avoid
- Comedogenic ingredients, like Isopropyl myristate (esp. for oily and combination skin)
- Alcohols (esp. for dry skin)
- Fragrances (esp. for sensitive skin)
- Colorants (esp. for sensitive skin)
We make our snowperk® products with over 95% naturally derived ingredients. We stay away from colorants and fragrances and opt for formulas with simple and effective ingredient lists. Our ingredients contain natural solvents to help your skin deeply absorb healthy actives.
3. Ensure Products Contain Optimal Levels of Actives
Actives are potent, scientifically-backed ingredients that can help the skin. Common actives include alpha-hydroxy acids/AHAs (for exfoliating effects), beta-hydroxy acid/BHAs (for acne and sun damage), and Vitamins A, B, and C.
Knowing how much of each ingredient is in your skincare is another essential step to choosing the right products. The Health Science Authority (HSA) requires ingredient labels on skincare products to list ingredients in descending order according to weight. Ensure good ingredients are listed first, meaning there’s a higher concentration of them. Ingredients you want to steer clear from should be closer to the bottom.
Our products at snowperk® list unique extracts and actives within the first few lines, proving our boosters are packed with highly concentrated levels of actives. Consumers receive the optimum dosage level of actives upon application when combining boosters (that target specific skin concerns) with moisturizers. The result? Fresh, naturally glowing skin in 14 days.
4. Packaging Should Maintain Product Integrity
Product packaging should do more than look good. It should also be safe and functional for users. For example, we package our 24-hour moisturizer cream in an airless pump jar that uses a vacuum dispensing system so consumers can use every last drop. The jar keeps the product formula pristine the entire time you use it to protect natural products and keep actives fresh and stable.
5. Select Products that Feel and Smell Good
The better a product makes you feel, the more you’ll use it and allow it to work deeply into your skin, leaving it smoother and more supple. We design gentle formulations for all skin types that include sensory elements to enhance each user’s personal experience.
6. Products Should Be Easily Accessible
By shopping in local businesses, you’re supporting your local area’s economy. You can also save time and money when you avoid purchasing from overseas brands with inflated pricing due to international shipping fees. Singapore may be small, but we have big ideas here and continually strive to make breakthroughs in science and innovation.
Support brands committed to philosophies and movements that understand and support you, too. snowperk® is a local brand, born and bred in Singapore. Research, development, and manufacturing are all done right here.
A Personalized Solution to Enhance Your Skincare Routine
Try snowperk iD™ to learn your skin type and condition and receive personalized recommendations to optimize your skincare routine. You’ll learn how to get fast and visible results by incorporating the right actives – highly concentrated and clinically proven to work.
Get to know your skin better. Check your skin ID today!